Last Updated: June 15, 2016
Using our website means following some rules
407 ETR encourages customers to use our website to get useful, up-to-date information and to securely and conveniently transact with respect to their trips on Highway 407 ETR or the Province of Ontario’s Highway 407 (including Highway 412 and Highway 418), whether it’s creating an online account, checking your account balance, paying your bill or signing up for a transponder. When you use our website, you are agreeing to the following terms. We may update these terms in the future, so please check back regularly!
Rules to browse by
We want you to get the most out of the self-serve options on our website, because we know this will make managing your account (and life) easier! Here are some “rules to browse by” when on our website:
- The purpose of our website is to serve customers’ needs and provide information for non-commercial use, so when you read or download our content, please respect this and observe all copyright and proprietary notices. For example, please don’t share, reuse or modify our web content for public or commercial purposes without our express consent.
- It goes without saying that using our website for fraudulent or illegal activities, such as sending spam or offensive material is strictly prohibited. So, please don’t use our website or web content to do anything libellous, defamatory, obscene or abusive, to harm or impersonate anyone or violate their rights, or to otherwise break the law.
- We want to make sure our customers have a secure and convenient experience online, and have taken steps to secure our website (a word on “Security and our website cookies”, below). So, please don’t do anything that would make this experience less secure for yourself or others, like trying to by-pass our secure login process, breach our network security, or compromise any of the convenient online features or tools offered on our website. Definitely, don’t do anything to interfere with computer networking or telecommunications services.
- For your convenience, we’ve included on our website links to third party sites. We don’t, however, review, monitor, control or specifically endorse these sites and aren’t responsible for their content or how they manage user privacy or security. You’ll need to decide for yourself if these third party sites are useful, safe and have accurate information for your purposes.
Our awesome website and content
We try our best to make sure the information on our website is accurate and up-to-date, and the website is operating on all cylinders! However, sometimes (though not often) this information may need to be corrected or updated, or our website may experience some downtime. Therefore, while 407 ETR is proud of our useful web content and online features and tools, we can’t guarantee everything will be flawless all of the time! Please read all information on our website carefully, and if you see any content that needs updating, a page that isn’t loading, or a tool that isn’t working, please let us know right away and we’ll be happy to look into it. Thanks in advance and, who knows, you may be rewarded for your help!
Keep your login credentials (and yourself) safe
Certain online features and tools may require you to open a 407 ETR account online, where you can choose a personal username and password. Once you decide on your login credentials, you must properly safeguard them since any activity under your account will be your responsibility to manage. If your login credentials are lost or stolen, however, let us know right away so we can prevent any unauthorized use of your account or any other breach of security. If you’re not careful with your login credentials and this harms 407 ETR or others, you may be held responsible. Similarly, don’t use anyone else’s login credentials without their consent.
Security and our website cookies
407 ETR uses administrative, contractual, physical, and technical safeguards to protect against unauthorized access to customers’ personal information, such as confidentiality agreements with employees, firewalls and mandatory login credentials. Although 407 ETR takes these great security steps, no website or Internet transmission is completely secure from unauthorized access all the time. Being aware of this and vigilant is the first step to using the Internet responsibly.
Copyright and trade-marks
The information and content displayed on the website, like text, graphics, trade-marks, logos, images, audio-clips and software, are owned by 407 ETR or its licensors and protected by intellectual property laws. This means you need to get the permission of 407 ETR or its licensors if, for example, you want to use content that would normally be covered by a licence agreement.
Our lawyers told us to say this
- 407 ETR and its affiliates are not liable for any direct or indirect damages related to your experience on the website, such as damages arising from website downtime, errors or omissions in the web content, use of third party links, technical issues with our online features or tools, or Internet viruses. The website is essentially provided to you “as is” and we don’t warrant it in anyway. For example, we can’t promise you our website will be compatible with your browser, especially if it’s an older one.
- 407 ETR’s liability and responsibility under these terms are limited to correcting or updating any inaccurate or out-dated web content, and fixing any downtime or technical issues, in a reasonable amount of time. For example, 407 ETR is big on security, but we can’t promise there aren’t viruses on the Internet that may hurt your computer. Please make sure your computer has the most up-to-date anti-virus software, and that you back-up your important information regularly.
- If you purposely violate these terms and your actions cause 407 ETR to experience any losses, demands or claims, you agree to indemnify and hold harmless 407 ETR and its affiliates. If you’re generally misusing our website or disregarding these terms, we may take corrective action like blocking your access to our website.
- Please note that 407 ETR’s Privacy Notice terms apply to use of our website. Also, there are other terms and conditions that will apply to you if you sign up for certain 407 ETR goods and services. These terms, our Privacy Notice and such other terms and conditions make up the entire agreement between you and 407 ETR, and supersede any prior agreements between us.
- No waiver of any breach of these terms will be binding unless in writing and signed by 407 ETR. No such waiver will apply to any other or later breach, unless stated in the written waiver.
- If one or more of these terms are ruled to be invalid, illegal or unenforceable, in whole or in part, this will not affect any other terms and the offending terms will be construed as if they had never been contained herein.
- Since our website originates in Ontario, these terms will be governed by and interpreted under the laws of Ontario and the federal laws of Canada, and any dispute, proceeding or claim arising out of or in connection with our website is subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of Ontarian courts.